Organ Donation Grief Counseling Program
After the sudden death of a loved one, families may look toward grief counseling to help them heal.
Recognizing the importance of grief counseling, the Pennsylvania Department of Health has partnered with CORE and Gift of Life Donor Program for a unique pilot program. Funded by the Governor Robert P. Casey Memorial Organ and Tissue Donation Awareness Trust Fund, families of deceased organ donors from across Pennsylvania have access to grief counseling at no cost to them.
- Families of deceased organ donors
- Legal next of kin and immediate family members of the donor
- Must be a Pennsylvania resident
- Up to eight free grief counseling sessions from an approved provider
- Approved providers have completed the PA Donor Family Grief Counseling Training
- Each eligible family can receive a total of eight sessions of any combination of individual, family or couple counseling
- Sessions must be used within six months of the initial visit
- Counselors will be reimbursed for either your co-pay or the agreed upon rate of $80 per session
- If your health insurance policy has mental health coverage, this program will cover the co-pay
- Additional counseling sessions are the responsibility of the donor family
- Contact CORE at 800-DONORS-7 (800-366-6777) for further information
Join our Donor Family Support Group on Facebook!